Monday, March 23, 2009

Turn the Hearts of the Children intro

Growing Together Counseling and publishing
Orem, Utah
Growingtogethercounseling@comcast.net
Growingtogethercounseling.com

©1998 All rights reserved

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

This project started out as an autobiographical sketch which was to include my mother and my two grandmothers, to be called “Four grandmothers.” As I researched the New Mexico materials, I found it so intriguing that I wanted to share that too with my grandchildren. Over the course of the three years it has taken to research and write and re-write this novel, I have lost track of the exact materials that provided the many quotations, descriptions and historical information I have used.
I originally planned to foot note every quote and every paraphrased description I used, but I found it overwhelmed the book as there were several footnotes per page. Since my purpose is to share information and not overwhelm a reader with a research document, I made the decision to fully acknowledge all the sources by abbreviated footnotes at the beginnings of the chapters, and use a different font face to indicate direct quotes from sources. In some cases I have lost tract of the exact source, and in others, I have paraphrased and rewritten so much I can’t remember where my words take over the original. So to the authors and publishers of the sources I have used, I apologize if I have infringed on any copyrights. I have made many attempts to contact the copyright holders, but most the letters have been returned by the post office.
I have worked to be as accurate as possible about times, places and events and descriptions, using poetic license only to make transitions between the present and past.
Genealogical information is accurate and mostly from Origins of New Mexico Families, and most of that is plagiarized from the source along with the descriptions and tidbits of family history that Chavez compiled. Since these can be found alphabetically in the first half of Origins, I deleted the footnotes telling the page numbers. Page numbers on the copies of pedigree charts are mostly from Origins.
I want to acknowledge and express my thanks to my mother, my two aunts, Marian Baca Candelaria Martinez and Dolores (Lola) Baca Candelaria Salazar, for their stories, both written and oral, and my wonderful Uncle Eliseo who worked so many hours with me decades ago to fill in the pedigree charts from microfilmed church records, cemetery records, and other sources.
This book is a monument to each of them and their families as well.
Dolores = Auntie Lola

The real authors of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment